Friday, February 09, 2007

Trip to ER

Greetings from the Emergency Room. I'm writing mostly to relieve tedium. Dayssi and I came in at 8pm with a fever of 101 -- it is 3am and we are still here. She fell asleep around 1am, after watching The Little Mermaid twice and another sweet movie by the director who made Spirited Away. Now I'm just trying to keep myself from falling off the chair. Thank goodness there is an internet connection in here!

Updates: Dayssi's ANC is still high so we are going home "tonight." What this means to me right now is that we aren't being admitted to the hospital or to the relative luxury of the pediatric oncology ward with real-ish beds and a place for two people to lie down; instead we are spending the night in the emergency room, where Dayssi is on the gurney and I am actually standing at this terminal. We learned we wouldn't be admitted at around 12:30am. But we still hadn't been seen by a doctor at that point. The doc finally came in around 1am and listened to Dayssi's chest, and ordered a chest xray.

Oops -- just now as I was getting my rant on a roll the doc came in (I tried to hide the screen with my body). She doesn't see any pneumonia on the chest xray but she heard "crackles" in Dayssi's lung and is going to treat her for pneumonia with antibiotic.

So, we are on our way out. I am only waiting for the prescription and release papers. But as anyone who has been in an ER knows, even this can take hours. I am hoping to get us home before dawn.

No comments: