Monday, January 22, 2007

Almost but not quite

Dayssi's counts are still too low for chemo so we are off another week. Her ANC is 476, up from 300, but not 500, which is the "ok" criterion. No cause for concern. This is normal for ALL kids, who will typically have 2-3 episodes of low counts due to viruses, etc. during maintenance. Dayssi is producing a lot of lymphocytes (?), which indicates she is fighting a virus. And she has a cold and a cough. The overall pattern of blood work shows also that Dayssi's platelets and hemoglobin are normal, which is important for ruling out relapse. But we have no reason to think that is going on anyway at this point. I learned recently from parents whose kids have relapsed, and who are reading all of the relevant literature, that relapse is rarely diagnosed from bloodwork, it tends to manifest in terms of the same physical symptoms as the initial diagnosis, and is then only confirmed in the bone marrow. So, my advice to those of you who are feeling panicky is: breathe.

Jim returned this weekend from his annual ski trip with college roommates. The girls and I had a bunch of parties while he was away, including our favorite baby's first birthday party, a lovely grown-ups only dinner party, a ladies-only 40th birthday extravaganza for one of those fabulous friends I was writing about earlier, and a trip to the doughnut factory!!

So it was a busy weekend with many reasons to celebrate. But I spent most of the weekend with a lump in my throat, knowing that two young children whose families I barely know were losing their respective battles with cancer while we were playing. Catie was fighting a brain tumor and, in prepration for a bone marrow transplant, caught a fungal infection that took her life on Friday morning. Donovan was diagnosed with a rare form of infant leukemia shortly after birth, and after nearly two years of trying every treatment imaginable, he finally lost his battle on Saturday night. I have no right to call these people my friends, but having followed their stories, sent messages of support, and witnessed their courage, humor, hope, love and ultimately, their loss, I care for them as though they are my friends, and I am heartbroken.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

This is what the "life-threatening" phrase before "illness" means for all these cancers, and every parent prays that his or her child will not be caught by that possibility. It is all very scary.

I am so sorry for your peers who have lost loved ones and add the lump in my throat to yours. As you said in an earlier blog, under what kind of God's rules are these things okay? I can't fathom.

Give Dayssi and yourselves extra hugs from us both.